Since the next three and a half months will officially be the longest ever, here’s my rec list of Twelve/River fanfics to read. A good deal of these are M-rated, as we figured the Doctor and River would have a lot of making up to do after 1,000 years on Trenzalore.
Pretty much everything that mygalfriday has penned on the couple, but these three are my diehard favorites:
- a photograph you carry like a future in your back pocket: River runs into Twelve and Clara not long after he regenerates. He doesn’t remember who she is.
- honey, you’re familiar like my mirror years ago: The Doctor is summoned to a desert planet, where he comes across an amnesiac, post-Library River. He has to help her re-discover who she is.
- la petite muse and its sequel, la petite string: Victorian-era AU where Twelve is a bitter, lonely playwright and River is a seamstress that becomes his muse. In this story, Amy and Rory are River’s daughter and son-in-law, and it fits so perfectly. Every note of these two stories are lovely.
- devant, derrière et avant ça by JaneScarlett: This one involves Eleven and Twelve and is just beautifully written. Another reunion fic for the Doctor, and marvelously shows the loopy nature of their timelines.
- it’s lost in our embraces like stars against the sun: This fic from amillionmillionvoices is amazing. It’s a somewhat dark fic about River getting captured, and it’s up to Twelve and Clara to unravel a puzzle and save her. This is the third in a series of Twelve/River fics that she wrote, and all three are lovely.
- The Engineer and the Magician: This fic by AGirloftheSouth is anoutner post-Library reunion fic for Twelve and River. This one has a really neat twist, utilizing a plot twist I’m normally not a fan of, but it works out really well here.
- Empty Tombs by DaraOakwise: River escapes the Library and follows the echoes of Trenzalore across the universe.
- Who Knows You By Heart by Kass: Feeling lost after Clara leaves him after “Kill the Moon,” the Doctor finds himself in River Song’s garden.
- I’ll begin but I’ll start at the end by goddessdel: Series of one-shot sexy stories featuring Twelve and Mels. They’re awesome.
And these are the Twelve/River fics I’ve written:
- Behold the Liquid Thames frozen o’re: Written during series 8, it provides an alternate take on Danny behind inside the TARDIS during the middle of the episode.
- The same hearts beneath my fingers: A one-shot written right after Peter Capaldi was cast as the 12th Doctor. A young River encounters her newly regenerated husband.
- Betwixt the stars and the unaccomplished fate: The Doctor hadn’t been trying to look for a way to rescue River Song from the Library, but when the opportunity arises, he can’t pass it up. But it comes with a sacrifice. (In-progress)